According to the NCMEC, a recent study of 4,200 child abductions that occurred from 2005 until 2010 revealed the following:
- 38% of abductions occurred while child was walking home from school alone
- 37% of abductions occurred between 2:00pm-7:00pm
- 43% of victims were between the ages of 10-14 years of age
- 72% of victims were female
- 68% of abductions involved the use of a vehicle
- In only 16% of the attempted abductions did an adult step in and intercede.
Most children that escape the attempted abduction did so through their own quick thinking/actions. With this information in mind, we need to consistently coach our children on avoidance/action skills.
December, 2010. SOUTHAVEN, MS – Southaven police say a man tried to kidnap an 8-year-old girl from inside the Walmart on Goodman Road around 5:30 p.m. Thursday evening.
Investigators say the man followed the girl around the store, said some inappropriate things to her and then tried to grab her. Investigators say the girl screamed and was able to get away unharmed.